Monday, April 13, 2009

Record Store Day aka My Birthday


How fitting is it that the day they chose to celebrate Record Stores is also my birthday? It is more than coincidence I think.

I can remember being 12 years old and begging my parents every weekend to take me to Karma Records so that I could buy a cd. In fact, the guys at the record store got to know me and they would let me come back behind the counter and look through the promotional cds. I would carefully pick out five or six discs, holding myself back from taking more becuase I didn't want to wear out my welcome. They allowed me to take them home and listen to them and then give my opinion when I brought them back. They would always let me keep the ones I liked. I had my first taste of bands like Sunny Day Real Estate and Sebadoh and I was hooked! This continued for the next four years and the week I turned 16, I was offered a job there. Amazing! I worked at Karma Records for over 6 years and discovered great music, made great friends and helped others to discover great music even if most just wanted the latest Creed, I.C.P. or Korn release! I am admittedly old school. I have an iPod and a Zune but I would much rather listen to a cd or album any day. I have to have that tangible product in my hands to pour over every word, every picture and every note.

So support Record Store Day at your local indie record store. I will be at Gem City Records in Dayton, OH. See you there!


The organizers for Record Store Day have teamed up with almost every leading indie label to release exclusives just for the occasion. Check out http://www.recordstoreday.com/ for the participating record stores and list of the exclusive releases.
Here is a list of mine...



Modest Mouse - "Satelite Skin"/"Guilty Cocker Spaniels" 7"
New tracks. Might not be ready for release on RSD...

Magnolia Electric Co. - "It's Made Me Cry" 7"
Jason Molina's first 7" in years

Black Kids - "Wizard of Ahhhs" 10"
Prev. only available in mp3 form

My Morning Jacket - "CelebraciĆ³n De La Ciudad Natal" CD and double 10" Vinyl
Recorded LIVE in Louisville, includes classic tracks from "Evil Urges".

Wilco - "Ashes of American Flags" DVD
DVD is released exclusively for indie stores 2 weeks prior to intended release date.

Cursive/Ladyfinger (ne) - Split 10"
Includes 1 album track and 1 new song from each band.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

I remember a guy that used to work at Karma Records, I actually sold my copy of Master P 'Da Last Don'and he only gave me $5 for it. What a jerk (wait, what a terrible album...jerk remark taken back) well, long story short...that guy and I ended up working together at Karma Records and learning that we were both totally obsessed with music and the entire history/culture of music. 10 years later, very little has changed in that regard. Thanks again for Damien Jurado, he kick-started my voyage into the sea of indie music all via you letting me borrow 'Rehearsals For Departure'(with strict instructions to return the CD without any imperfections). The rest they say is history.

Scotch & Don 4-ever

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home