Friday, April 10, 2009

Interview: The Pomegranates


The Pomegranates' new album, Everybody Come Outside! was released last month to wide-spread critical acclaim. It is already cemented on my Top 10 list for this year. Tuesday, April 14th marks the release date for the physical CD on Lujo Records.
Joey Cook from The Poms took the time to answer a few of my questions. Find out about their first SXSW experience, their favorite places to play live, and what is playing in their tour van!



Atlas and the Anchor: Are any of you working on any side/solo projects we should know about other than Joey's project, FIRS?

Joey: As far as I know there are a couple of really awesome projects in the works, between Isaac and Josh. However, I'm not sure if either of them are far enough along, or if I'm at liberty to speak about them at this point.



AA: People compare you to other bands and make assumptions about your influences for the band. Who do you say you are influenced by?

Joey: We're all into Talking Heads and Brian Eno. At least for some/most of us Prince is up there. Any good motown or R&B. The Beegees. And I think our friends are an influence to us as well. For example, Javelins' new album, "Heavy Meadows" is incredible, and Enlou's new songs have me wanting to write so bad.


AA: Name one current and one older song you wish you had written.

Joey: I probably can't speak for the entire band on this one, but I'd have to say...
Current: "Can't Believe It" by T-Pain or maybe "Bluish" by Animal Collective
Older: "Come on Eileen" by Dexy's Midnight Runner's or "Billie Jean" by Michael Jackson or "Third Uncle" by Brian Eno. That's a toss up.



AA: What are you listening to in the tour van?

Joey: There are a lot, since we spend most of our time there. Recently we've listened to that new David Byrne/Brian Eno album, which is great. "Walking on a Dream" by Empire of the Sun has gotten a few listens. "Keepers" by Deastro is awesome. It's a hand-picked selection of his songs from previous albums re-mastered for the label he's on, Ghostly International. Also, "The Evening Descends" by Evangelicals has been listened to more than a few times. It's one of our new favorites I think.


AA: Who are some of your favorite bands to play with and/or who would you like to collaborate with?

Joey: We just finished a couple of weeks with our friends in Headlights, which was a fantastic time. Matthew Shelton is our friend from Cincinnati, and whenever we play with him (in any one of his different embodiments) it is excellent. We love him. Enlou is finally playing shows again, which is a relief because they've been one of my favorite bands since I heard their first ep.


AA: Though the new album has just been released, are you working on ideas for a new album?

Joey: We are. It seems like we're always working on something new. As Neil Diamond said, "Hey! We're headed for the future!"


AA: I just saw you play at the Southgate House in KY, and you killed it. Where is your favorite place to play?

Joey: Thank you! I'm glad you liked it. The Southgate House has been consistently a really fun place to play. Any of the rooms are good. The staff is all really helpful and cool. We've also recently played in NYC at The Bell House which was one of the best times ever.


AA: If you could replace yourself in the band with another musician, who would it be and why?

Joey: I don't understand why I would want to do that really... but if I had to it would probably be Andrew Clark. Because he's a pro.



AA: What is your favorite song on "Everybody Come Outside!" and why?

Joey: I think I like Beachcomber the most. I like the fake ending. And then I REALLY like the real ending.



AA: How was your first SXSW experience? Any interesting stories? Did you discover any new bands?

Joey: It was a lot of fun. I got to see The Beats, Evangelicals, School of Seven Bells, Still Flyin', Beach House, These are Powers, and it was all awesome! We played a show with Twin Tigers, who were great. They reminded us of Sonic Youth a little bit I think. It was a wonderful time. I hope we get to go next year


Thanks again to Joey for taking the time to answer my questions during this hectic time of release dates and tour dates!

Check out my album/live show review of The Pomegranates here:
http://atlasandtheanchor.blogspot.com/search?q=pomegranates

To order Everybody Come Outside! click here: www.lujorecords.com

Tune in to WOXY.com on Monday, April 13th at 4 PM ET for a live in-studio performance by The Pomegranates here: http://www.woxy.com/

Download "Corriander" here: http://lujorecords.com/media/01%20Corriander.mp3

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home